Wondering which are the top food delivery apps in the U.S.A.? The on-demand food delivery apps have amazingly gained popularity, especially in the coronavirus economy. So, we have come up with this blog to analyze which food delivery app in America is best to drive for?
The United States brought the online food ordering trend, and as per Upserve, 60% of U.S. consumers order food delivery once a week. Consumers are increasingly interested in ordering their favourite foods to be delivered rather than dining in-store.
There is one area that we all spend copious amounts of money, whether willingly or begrudgingly, is on food delivery apps. Because if people can get their food delivered without leaving the comfort of homes, many of them choose that option. When it comes to the fees, whether it’s 10, 15, 20 or 25 dollars, that are a few worth paying.
- The market revenue for food delivery apps has increased by 204 per cent in the past five years. It had reached $26 billion in 2020 from $8.7 billion in 2015. It is expected to reach $42 billion by 2025.
- Food delivery app users had also increased from 66 million in 2015 to 111 million in 2020.
- As per Gloria Food’s study, 86% of Americans had ordered food delivery at least once a month.
What are the best food delivery companies in the U.S.A.?
So, what food delivery app is the most popular in the U.S.A.? For customers, food delivery apps are fast, convenient with various choices. Food delivery apps open the key to reaching more comprehensive customers, faster deliveries, and more significant revenues for businesses.
Let us discuss the top 10 food delivery apps in the U.S.A., their features, and why they are famous? If you are a food business or restaurant owner looking for a reliable food delivery app development company, Acanyon can help you digitize your restaurant store by developing a custom on-demand food delivery app tailored to suit your business.
Top 5 Food Delivery Apps in America
Founded in 2013, Doordash- the American on-demand delivery service provider, expanded to 70 restaurants in the first year of operations and received $2.4 million in funding. With a 57% share in the U.S. food delivery market in 2021, DoorDash has established itself as the leader, surpassing Grubhub and global leader UberEats.
The on-demand food ordering app has over 300,000 local and chain restaurants across the U.S., Canada, and Australia. The Doordash drivers are Dashers, who make food deliveries via car, bike, scooter, or motorcycle.
The Doordash app allows users to rate restaurants based on popularity, delivery time, and customer reviews. It helps customers in finding the best quality restaurants around their area. Doordash app is popular because of the fast delivery service and quality service.
DoorDash had 20 million monthly active users in December 2020, a 2 million increase since September 2020.
DoorDash earned a revenue of $2.89 billion in 2020 – a 3.26x growth over the past year. In contrast, bringing in $1.08 billion in the first three months of 2021.
Doordash Delivery Costs:
- Delivery fees for Doordash range from $1.99-$4.99, and Service fees are around 10% of the customer’s subtotal.
- A $2 Small Order Fee for orders $8-$10 or less.
- If you choose to subscribe at DashPass, which costs $9.99/month, you get $0 delivery fees and reduced service fees at participating restaurants.
Interesting Fact: In 2019, DoorDash bought the rival food delivery app Caviar from Square for $410 million.
DoorDash has initiated a package of commission relief and marketing support to help restaurant partners and local businesses increase revenue during the pandemic. The company has also implemented financial assistance programs and has merged with community organizations to deliver food to hard-hit communities.
Cost of developing an app like Doordash:
Want to build a food delivery app, Doordash? So, how much does it cost to build an app like Doordash?
Estimating and calculating the exact cost of developing a Doordash app seems a daunting process. It depends on different development stages, app features and complexity, third-party integrations, the development team location, and hourly rates. The cost of building a basic Doordash-like food delivery app or M.V.P. costs around $50k to $65k with $50 per hour developer cost.
Have a limited budget? Reduce this cost to around $22 to $35k. Wondering how? Hire a dedicated food delivery app development team or offshore app developers from India. The hourly rate of Indian software developers ranges from $18 to $30.
With a 26% market share in the U.S. food delivery industry, UberEats scored second in the race. The on-demand leader Uber launched its online food delivery platform UberEats in 2014 in Los Angeles. It has now grown to nearly every city in which Uber operates.
With a 4.3-star rating on Google Play Store, the food ordering and delivery app are available in 6000 cities with 600,000 supported restaurants. The app offers faster deliveries with impressive features like expected delivery time, real-time tracking, etc.
- UberEats, with 66 million users, earned a revenue of $4.8billion in 2020 with a 152 per cent increase year-on-year.
- UberEats controls 29 per cent of the global food delivery market. (Fortune).
UberEats Delivery Service Pricing:
- Uber Eats typically charges a service fee of around 15% on the order subtotal. There is no maximum service fee, while the minimum service fee is about $3.
- The UberEats delivery fee typically ranges from $0.49 to $7.99 based on the restaurant’s proximity. The delivery fee rises when the demand for orders is high.
- A small order fee of $2 for orders less than $10 and $3 if the subtotal is less than $15.
- UberEats provides Eats Pass for $9.99 per month as a monthly subscription option for Uber Eats users. Subscription users get $0 delivery and 5% off eligible orders over $15.
Interesting Fact: In 2020, UberEats acquired the food delivery start-up Postmates for $2.65 billion.
IN 2020, UberEats temporarily waived delivery fees for over 100,000 local restaurants. In addition, the food delivery giant has implemented various other measures such as free rides and meals for healthcare workers and financial assistance to drivers and delivery people.
How much does it cost to build an UberEats-like app?
Want the dynamic UberEats features and functionalities for your restaurant business app? We are here to help you develop successful food delivery apps like UberEats at the most affordable rates.
The cost of developing the UberEATS app depends on many factors and features included. One of the crucial factors is the developer’s hourly rate.
- Developers rate- $10 to $80 per hour (India )
- Developers rate: – $30 to $150 per hour (Eastern Europe )
- Developers rate: – $50 to $250 per hour (U.S.A.)
The UberEATS app development cost may range between $18,000 -$55,000.
Not only in the US, but UberEats is highly popular in Europe too. It was the most downloaded app in 2020. UberEats ranks among the top food delivery app in Europe.
The early adopter of the online food delivery trend, the GrubHub app is one of the most popular food delivery apps. Launched in 2004, the on-demand food ordering and delivery app allows users to place orders up to four days in advance.
In 2013, GrubHub leapt forward by merging with Seamless, the food ordering website that started the food ordering trend in America. Following consequent growth, the company acquired many food ordering apps, including Eat24, Foodler, LevelUp, Tapingo, to name a few.
The app offers features like search for restaurants, menus, cuisines, in-app payments with PayPal, Android Pay, feedback and ratings, etc. GrubHub also provides a monthly subscription of $9.99 with a two-week free trial, enabling users to get unlimited free deliveries from participating restaurants.
Want to know the GrubHub-like app development cost? Acanyon, as one of the best food delivery app development companies in India, the U.S.A., and the U.K., gives you the exact cost estimations and consultation. The cost of developing a food-delivery app like GrubHub, depending on various factors, ranges between $30,000 to $40,000.
- Grubhub generated $1.8 billion in 2020, a 39 per cent increase per year.
- Grubhub had 31.4 million active users using the app at least once a month in 2020.
- GrubHub has 2,65,000 restaurants operating in 4000 cities with a valuation of 7$.1 billion.
GrubHub Services Pricing:
- GrubHub has a set Delivery fee for every order ranging between $2.50-$7.50.
- The food delivery app includes a 5-10% service fee on every order.
- A $2 fee for orders less than $10.
Interesting Fact: In June 2021, JustEat Takeaway.com acquired GrubHub for $7.3 billion.
Grubhub established the Grubhub Community Relief Fund enabling users to round up their food delivery order to the nearest dollar and donate the surplus amount to charitable organizations supporting local restaurants and drivers impacted by the pandemic.
In addition, the company has started the Supper for Support initiative offering $10 off on orders of $30 or more (available at participating restaurants from 5 pm-9 pm).
Launched in 2011 in San Francisco, Postmates is not just a food delivery platform but offers you a lot more than food. Postmates is the American delivery service that delivers everything from groceries, alcohol, pizza, kitchen supplies, medicine to phone chargers and thousands of other items to your doorstep.
The American food delivery app development company, Postmates, operates in 4200 cities across the U.S.A. with 5 million deliveries per month. With a 4.1-star rating on the Google Play store, the on-demand food ordering app has a market share of 8% in the U.S. food delivery industry. The cost to build a food delivery app like Postmates ranges somewhere between 50K USD to 52K USD.
- Postmates generated $500 million in revenue in 2019. We estimate revenue increased to $880 million in 2020, although Postmates has not disclosed any official numbers
- Postmates has 10 million monthly active users, who order five million items a month.
- Over 600,000 merchants are partners on Postmates.
Postmates Services Pricing:
- Postmates charges a delivery fee of $0.99 – $3.99 for partnered restaurants and $5.99 – $9.99 for all other merchants.
- In addition, a service fee as a percentage of the order subtotal is typically around 15%.
- A small order fee of $1.99 for orders under $12.
- Postmates Subscription: For $9.99/month, enabling free delivery and no Blitz pricing on all orders over $12.
Interesting Fact: In 2020, Uber acquired Postmates for $2.65 billion.
As part of the COVID-19 response, Postmates initiated two programs to help the delivery fleet and merchants.
For its delivery fleet, Postmates will credit for the costs of doctors’ appointments and medical expenses related to COVID-19’s impact in over 22 states under the Postmates Fleet Relief Fund. Postmates will waive restaurant commission fees for new merchants and small business owners, giving them access to on-demand delivery at no additional cost.
People in UK has the same love for Postmates app as in the US. Interested in reading about the top food delivery apps in UK. Read our blog.
Delivery.com is the famous American all-purpose online delivery service that enables users to order from local restaurants and stores for on-demand delivery. Delivery.com does not offer pick-up and delivery services but serves as a third-party platform for restaurants, grocers, liquor stores, and others to sell and deliver their products. They charge a commission fee of 15% from business owners with a 2.75% credit processing fee (standard) and an additional $0.25 per credit transaction.
The cost to develop an app like Delivery.com will range between $15k to $30k with an hourly developer rate of $15 to $25.
Delivery.com Statistics: Delivery.com is available in over 100 US cities, with more than 12,000 merchants signed up to the app.
Delivery.com Services Pricing:
The app is free to download and use for consumers, but the app charges a commission fee from vendors.
Interesting Fact: Delivery.com has acquired many online food ordering and delivery companies, including Doorbell Dining, Mr Delivery, Food Junkey, to name a few.
As a response to COVID-19, delivery.com has enforced several initiatives to support partner organizations. The company has partnered with stopCOVID to keep drivers safe. The stopCOVID team trains their drivers for contactless delivery and imparts safety training to help continue serving local communities as safe as possible.
No. of Cities
No. of Restaurants
Less than $7
Less than $6
Other famous food delivery apps in the U.S.A. are:
So, this was our exciting list of the best food delivery apps in the U.S.A. based on the latest statistics, facts, and data. Interested in developing any of the mentioned delivery app solutions, we are just a call away. Whether you want to build a restaurant app from scratch or looking for readymade food delivery app solutions, we got you covered.
We offer custom white-label food delivery app development services and readymade food ordering and delivery solutions.
Take your restaurant business online easily within hours under your budget. Hire dedicated food delivery app developers, engineers, and programmers flexibly at hourly, monthly, or full-time with Acanyon.com.